Thursday, October 07, 2004

Last Meal
On Sunday we were invited to Tom Brown's son's house for BBQ. The house is in a rural area not far from Washington State University, Vancouver.

It was a perfect day. Sunny and warm. The place was beautiful. We had a wonderful spot outside, surrounded by open green space with friendly dogs, big and little horses, cool cars and nice people. Oh, and a giant barbecue stuffed with a generous quantity and variety of meats. We could almost see Mt. St. Helens and I was still hoping we might see some action. The food was incredible. Probably my highest single-day meat consumption, ever. They brought out the brownies and I said, "I'll have more chicken."

I'm trying an online photo service. You can see photos of the BBQ here. I'm still learning how it works but so far I think it's pretty good.

In the NY Times they do these interviews where one of the questions is: "Last meal?" so I've been tossing this out asking people what they would choose for their last meal. Bob paled and asked me not to ask him questions like that anymore. WKB started making a list of every single food he likes (which doesn't answer the question) so he back-tracked and I think settled for some sort of massive Porterhouse steak and mashed potatoes. Erin said she'd pick Rouladen.

My last meal would be Mom's Thanksgiving. And it would have to have all the usual stuff. We always talk about trying new things but it's only one meal a year and I always want the same stuff: oven roasted turkey with sage stuffing, Dad's mashed potatoes with giblet gravy, cranberry sauce from the OceanSpray bag recipe, yam brown betty, broccoli, little plates with olives and celery stuffed with that yummy herbed cream cheese type stuff that I can't remember the name of right now, pecan AND pumpkin pie -- HOMEMADE for dessert. And those Betty Crocker ancient cookbook Parker House rolls. I LOVE those. I keep thinking if I love them so much I should just learn to make them myself but then I could have them anytime and it wouldn't be so special. And Mom uses the other half of the dough to make cinnamon rolls and that's post Thanksgiving breakfast -- which if Thanksgiving was my last meal, I wouldn't get to have.

I remember my first Thanksgiving away from home they had store bought pies. STORE BOUGHT PIES! Why would anyone buy a pie when they are so easy and yummy to make yourself? I would have made pies had anyone told me they were just buying them.

That would be my last meal. My second to last meal would be Tom Brown's BBQ.