Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I don't know if you know about Wikipedia -- this has become a recent ... what's the word I'm looking for. Obsession is too strong. Fixation?

It's a free encyclopedia and anyone can give input. And it covers all kinds of random things. Not just like the economy of Sweden or who invented paper.

I recently ran across a brief discussion about the reading order of the Narnia books and I go along with the folks who believe that they should be read in the order they were originally published and not in Narnia time chronology as they are currently packaged. This brief discussion cited an Wikepedia article that discussed this which you can find: here.

Please read the above because it's freakin hilarious. It's a completely straight-forward, dead serious summary of Narnia as if they were writing about Tunisia or Elizabethan England or other actual real places in history. I've read the Narnia books at least 10 times each and I learned new things. Did you know the Telmarines might have descended from the pirates from the HMS Bounty in our world? There was a portal in a cave on the island. I know, startling new information. I also didn't fully grasp that Narnia is flat -- which is pretty sad considering that Dawn Treader is one of my favorites in the series.

And let's consider for a moment and this is high geek if ever there was such a thing what was going on at the end of Dawn Treader when they were heading for the end of the world: " ... and the sky, a greenish-grey, trembling, shimmering wall and it turned into a wonderful rainbow of colors. ... What they saw--eastward, beyond the sun--was a range of mountains ... these were warm and green and full of forests and waterfalls ... ." and eventually Reepicheep vanishes into a sea of lillies. Contrast this with what Gandalf says in Return of the King, about the end: "The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it ... white shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

I don't know. I'm just saying.