Saturday, October 15, 2005

I had a whole bunch of stuff to update you on but I don't know where it all went.

I thought about doing a long update on my shows and how they are all connected somehow to Buffy & Angel, but I don't think you care that much. I will give you a partial report and say: Invasion is excellent. Bones is also excellent but after a couple of episodes they're on a temporary hiatus while this baseball thing is finishing up. It's October. It's cold and windy. Shouldn't baseball be finished by now? I watched one Desperate Housewives and proclaimed myself finished. There is a fine line between stupid and guilty pleasure and that show has been reclassified as stupid.

Last weekend I watched a movie called Osama which I had heard was very good. I want you to understand that I do not have a problem with "hard" movies and I like movies that make me look at things in a different way or open my eyes to things I don't know about. I didn't completely remember what Osama was about, and if it had been a segment on an evening newsshow, yes it was excellent. But in terms of kicking back on a Sunday afternoon to watch a movie that you vaguely remember has something to do about a little girl in Afghanistan, this was an awful movie. I won't give it all away but it's about this little girl and her dad and uncle are dead and there is no way for the family to get food or money so they dress her up as a boy so she can get a job. Her situation goes from bad to worse to completely and utterly tragic and then the movie is over. There is not even a droplet of hope when the credits roll. That was probably the filmmakers intention and it worked. It invoked incredible outrage for the situation for women over there. It also bummed out my entire day.

I think I mentioned before that my computer display has pooped out. I finally called a Mac service place yesterday and talked to a very nice Mac-Tech-Service-Geek and he knew what I was talking about before I had the words out of my mouth. The problem is the screen doesn't display red. I can get by when I'm going email or this, but I'm taking a Photoshop class and practicing color correction is quite interesting under these circumstances. The repair is around $350-400. My digital video board is failing. Or something like that. The computer is barely 2 years old, but for a little more than double that I can get a whole new computer so we're looking into that at the moment. The Apple G5 is looking pretty good.

Yesterday I did a bit of yardwork. I totally wasn't in the mood, but the sun was out and it was nice and it seemed foolish to waste the day sitting in the house practicing Photoshop when I could be cleaning up the yard and enjoying the sun in my shirtsleeves. I managed to harvest another basket of tomatoes. I left the plants in but figured they'd be wrecked b/c of the rain, but no. They look good. I don't know what kind of tomato plant this is but it's been a champ -- produced zillions of pretty, yummy tomatoes, and keeps on going. I also dug around in the front a little bit and pulled out and cut back dead stuff. It didn't take long for me to grow bored of it.

In the afternoon I made a Buttermilk Pie using a recipe from the NY Times. I've never had it before, although I've seen the recipe and was always curious to try it. It's yummy -- a light, cheesecake flavored pie. Bob love it.

Today we plan to see Elizabethtown, new Cameron Crowe movie and then this afternoon is my first try at making tamales. Full report tomorrow.