Saturday, December 17, 2005

Yes! There is a name for those irritating and aggravating fake websites: splogs.

Here's what Wikipedia says about splogs.

Spam blogs, sometimes referred to by the neologism splogs, are weblog sites which the author uses only for promoting affiliated websites. The purpose is to increase the PageRank of the affiliated sites, get ad impressions from visitors, and/or use the blog as a link outlet to get new sites indexed. Content is often nonsense or text stolen from other websites with an unusually high number of links to sites associated with the splog creator which are often disreputable or otherwise useless websites.

Have you ever tried to research something ... I'm trying to think of something I did recently and all I am coming up with are girl problems. What would be more universal? Health issues are likely candidates. I'm totally drawing a blank right now: but if you're looking up a general topic: headaches, Paris, gardening. And you get your search results and you click on something that looks good, and all it is zillions of links that also look good but ultimately there is no actual information. It's just a giant clicking game. These sites drive me nuts and I've been saying they should have a name. And they do. Good to know.

I had another extended rant that I don't think I'm going to do. It has to do with asking a simple question and having the person you're asking assume you're a complete halfwit and start explaining starting with the dawn of man instead of just answering your question. Except if you spend any time out and about in the world, you know that 2 out of 3 people are indeed complete halfwits and why should anyone assume you are any different?