Saturday, June 17, 2006

FIFA World Cup Games 24, 25 and 26
I gave myself a break and slept in and caught up with the Portugal v. Iran game in the second half. Iran is a great team and managed to keep Portugal scoreless until the 63rd minute. (Not a bad call to sleep in, either.) I still think Portugal is a bit of a whiny team. Ebrahim Mirzapour, Iran's goalkeeper did a great job.

The Czech Republic v. Ghana game took about 10 years off my life. I said I was looking forward to seeing Cz play some other team. Where were they? Was this even the same team who kicked USA butt? Does anyone else think Pavel Nedved looks like Dave Murray from Iron Maiden?


Ghana played a kick ass game. Completely exciting, at the edge of my seat. I can't wait to see how the last 2 games playout.

I've got a routine worked out now. Between the first and second games I do my yoga practice. The sun salutations and standing poses. And then when the 2nd game starts, I can work on seated postures while I watch. There aren't a lot of things you can do during a soccer game because you have to keep your eyes on the screen.

I'd also like to comment that the TV cameras seem to have no problem locating the young girls bouncing up and down and cheering for their team. Also, am I dreaming or is Taco Hell doing an ad campaign to help overfed America figure out what to have for its fourth meal?

Okay, now we're at the USA v. Italy game. To be honest, I didn't have a lot of confidence in the USA. Turns out the game was a clusterfork and a half. The officiating was off the rails. *I* was ready to give up when Eddie Pope was sent off. Luckily the USA wasn't so wimpy. Great effort on the USA's part. Keeping Italy to a tie. Sets up super dramatic final games for this group. I can't wait.

All this yelling and carrying on. Not only did I get my yoga but also a good cardio this morning. We're lucky World Cup is only every 4 years. I'm worried Bob is going to find me slumped over the remote with blood running out of my ears one of these days.

(BTW I did watch the Mexico v. Angola game last night and it was fantastic! Quite a nail biter.)