Sunday, April 15, 2007

More About Ants and Reading (as different topics)
It's hard to feel good about yourself when every time you walk out the front or back door you see a giant pile of ants staggering around in crooked circles. Whenever people charge me a large sum of money to solve a problem I've diagnosed myself on a matter I have zero experience with I'm always worried I'm getting hosed. Not this time. I didn't realize there were piles of giant ants living around the front door or back door. The ants I was calling about are (were) on the side of the house. How close they came to conquering us.

The sun is out but I see clouds and I have some work to do out there so I'm going to cut my planned post short.

I finally finished my book, Annie Proulx, Accordion Crimes which brings me up to 4 for this year.

Years and years ago I started a notebook where I write authors, titles and notes about books I wanted to read. Most of them come from book reviews but also from recommendations, best books lists and books mentioned by guests at Arts & Lectures.

This morning I went through the notebook to see if any titles sounded good right now. I also make notes if I decide not to read the book. Maybe I picked it up at the library and decided upon closer inspection that it doesn't look like something I want to read. Or I make a big check mark if I've read it and write what I thought of the book which ranges from "awesome!" to "okay" to "dreadful."

I found that Entertainment Weekly was consistently unreliable and even the starred reviews were books that I could barely hold in my hands for 5 pages. Esquire Magazine once printed a comprehensive list of books everybody should read and most were literary classics but the kind of literary classics that you've barely heard of and I was rarely tempted by the list.

After I finished Accordion I started a book called The Leopard which I've seen mentioned in The Week numerous times and so far I like it. That should keep me busy until I have time to go to the library with my new list.