Friday, November 23, 2007



(Bigger version of photo here.)

The Book Pile
This isn't a completely accurate version of all the books in the house that I plan to read someday but the top shelf is the main holding area for things I intend to read sooner rather than later. The second shelf books aren't a priority but I wanted to get the Han Shot First bookends in there.

The bookends on the top shelf are the Argonath from the Lord of the Rings.

This whole thing is making me look a lot nerdier than I'd intended. I've always liked to read a lot of different kinds of stuff but this year I've been on a sci-fi/fantasy binge much more than in past years. The Kite Runner and The Known World have been here forever and I've "almost" read them a number of times and then seem to be distracted by something else.

I thought about why this might be and my best theory is that when my job changed I started working much longer days and when I get home my brain fried and then I eat dinner and have a couple glasses of wine and it's hard to concentrate on what I'm reading for more than a page or two. In this condition: dragons, space ships=easy, literature=less easy.

I don't know why I feel the need to explain myself. I like to read the books I like. The sci-fi books are also idea for public transportation.

I keep lists of the books I read and short reviews here.

At the moment I'm reading Fargo Rock City and Chuck Klosterman IV by Chuck Klosterman that Meredith and Jeff loaned me. Fargo Rock City is about hair bands. I can't believe I haven't read it already. When I started it I thought a little bit of Chuck goes a long way but I'm having fun reading both. I like particularly like the celebrity profiles in IV. I also started Potter 7 at last. I can't remember much about the other 6 books and I thought I'd speed read through the synopses online but even those are endlessly long. I don't need to reminded of every time Harry drank a tankard of pumpkin juice and scratched his butt.