Monday, September 30, 2002

Yesterday in the Oregonian there was this etiquette and entertaining type article -- well I think the point had to do with why the knife is placed where it is in a table setting and I didn't pay attention to that part as much seeing as how I don't think inconsistent utensil placement signals the end of western civilization -- but the part of the article that made me stop was when she was talking about how when people are using a knife to cut something on their plate, they use their right hand then put the knife down and pick up their fork to eat the food with their right hand -- so they have to do this crossing back and forth thing. I never paid a lot of attention so now I'm taking an informal poll -- is this how you eat your steak (or tofu, depending on your preference)? I'm a lefty and I keep the fork in my left hand and use my right hand to cut. This method is so much more efficient and logical.