Friday, July 07, 2006

Pay Attention to the Spelling
Shortly after you cross the Interstate Bridge there is a large landscaped area that includes an outline of the state of Washington in plants. It also includes the letters ALKI in flowers.

I drive by this almost every day and for the life of me couldn't think of what ALKI could stand for.

This morning Bob and I drove past it together and I said, "What's ALKI?"

Bob: It's a Ferry. There's going to be a big celebration this year.

Me, completely agog: They're having a celebration for a Fairy?

Bob: Yeah! A big one.

Me, still completely agog, my pea brain wheels spinning like mad trying to figure out why the state would be celebrating a big Fairy and why I'd never heard about it before. I actually said outloud: Have I just fallen into a parallel universe or are we talking about the state celebrating a Fairy?

Bob, perplexed why I'm having such a hard time with this: Yeah, it's a really big deal. It's like 50 years old.

Me, still agog: And we're talking about a little creature like Tinkerbell with wings?

Bob: A Ferry Boat.

--

This is absolutely a true conversation. I don't know where my head was at. I was completely sober, not hungover, although I have a lingering chest cough and hadn't had breakfast yet.

I did a bit of research and turns out ALKI is the Washington State Motto and it roughly translates to "by and by" in the Chinook Indian language. I didn't see anything about a Washington Ferry Vessel called ALKI but I only investigated for about 3 minutes because I'm not in the mood for a major online project right now.

I also found reference to an Alki Transportation company, an Alki Point and an Alki beach.

I found nothing about Alki the Fairy.