Saturday, February 17, 2007

My Beautiful Sunny Living RoomSunshine On My Shoulders ...
Today is one of those magical days we get around here, usually a bit later than this, when it's warm and sunny and unbelievably perfect. You could never appreciate it unless you'd spent the last several months dark and cold and damp and knowing full well that from now until July there will be plenty more of the same.

I just went downtown to pick up our vegetables and everywhere I looked there were people walking or biking or pushing strollers or playing with dogs. Even the squirrels smiled and waved when I drove by. That's why I'm going to spend the day inside watching television.

Just kidding! I'm going to go for a walk and take pictures and do a bit of yardwork. Maybe vacuum the inside of the car. Maybe even read for a bit on the front porch, one of my favorite things to do when it's sunny and not too cold (or warm, depending).

I don't spend a lot of time reading the newspaper for a lot of reasons but one major reason is that it's so negative and doomsday. This morning I read 3 great stories.

(1) There were some hijackers on a plane. They didn't speak French so the pilot made an announcement in French telling the passengers what was going on and warning them that he was going to do a bumpy landing and when the hijackers fell over, to be ready. He did exactly that and the passengers kicked the hijackers asses. Excellent!

(2) A champion paraglider was caught in a thunderstorm and lost control and flew higher than Mt. Everest. When she saw the weather situation she radioed her ground crew and basically said, "I'm toast, it's been nice knowing you." She even lost consciousness but later landed and lived. Cool!

(3) There was a local story about some people who lost their dog. I know this happens every day and this story was in the paper because it happened to a newspaper reporter. Still. They put up fliers and a bunch of people helped them and they found their dog. Another happy ending.

To end this story, I will tell you that I got in bed at 8:30pm and slept until about 7:30am. I think this is going to be a super spectacular day.