Friday, May 30, 2008

Animal Trail

I've been meaning to take a picture of this for a long time. I wasn't sure how well it would show up.

This is the side yard. If you see that darker green line that starts at the lower left and curves up towards the back — that is an animal trail.

When I first noticed it, I thought it was from yardwork but later I noticed it was there all the time. You can see it in the back, too and it leads up to a big gap between our back fence and the next door neighbor's garage.

I'm not sure if it's raccoons, opossums (wolves? deer? rhinoceros?) or both but this must be the neighborhood crossing spot. There is some open space beyond the street behind our house. Since we've lived here we've occasionally seen raccoons and opossum in the yard usually after dark.

Several years ago there was a dramatic baby raccoon rescue in our backyard. I used my barely-there photo and html skills to write about it here but at some point later I deleted it. I just dug it out and tried to improve the photos and you can see it here.