Sunday, July 08, 2001

I don't know who reads this or how often, but I don't assume I have too many regulars. Regardless, I find that I am always editing myself -- things that I wouldn't hesitate to write to myself in private I wouldn't dream of alluding to in this space. And when I was thinking about this - I wondered what my purpose was, I mean, why shouldn't I edit myself? Do people really want to see the unedited brain dump of any person willing to throw it out there? Especially someone like me who spends so much time analysing her brain.

Today my computer is acting weird or else the Internet is acting weird but I can't stand being online today. I'm having wrist issues again on my mouse hand so I don't know when I'm going to finish moving the pamnewsletters over. I'm up to v. 3. Whenever I feel like it, I guess.

It's been a great weekend so far. Friday night I went with Bob to the Waterfront Blues Festival and saw a band called something like Wild Magnolias from New Orleans and I called them "Las Vegas Indians" because of their outfits. It was super fun -- I love events where all ages of people are having a good time dancing and enjoying music -- is there any other artistic medium that compares in terms of group interaction?

Yesterday we went to Tacoma to visit Phil to talk about RTG XI and then we went to the Washington State History Museum to see the Woody Guthrie exhibit which I cannot more highly recommend. What an amazing life. Even if you have zero interest in folk music, you can't ignore his amazing contributions or the impact he had on so many artists. I found it particularly ironic that such completely non-American artists like Billy Bragg and U2 had so much to say about him. I mean, can you imagine someone like Steven Tyler talking about some random British guitar strummer from over 50 years ago?

The Museum is amazing in itself. A beautiful facilty, well built and nicely organized. On the one hand I was sad to see it so dramatically underused -- a Saturday and it was a snap to park in the lot and we could cruise the exhibit at our leisure without worrying about other visitors -- so at the same time I was happy to enjoy it without pushing and shoving and being annoyed by people in my way. I'm not into folk music but it made me want to invest a little time listening to his work.