Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Valentines in History
The first time I had a boyfriend and Valentines Day at the same time, I was a senior in high school.

I took him to Love's Barbecue. My memory's a little fuzzy on the details but I seem to recall Love's BBQ being a big chain, at least in southern California. My web research reveals only two locations now, neither the site of the date I'm about to share with you. You'd think a place called Love's BBQ would go on forever.

Love's had some sort of lovers special for Valentine's Day and I made reservations for this. It probably involved ribs and coleslaw for two with a sundae for dessert. Sadly I don't remember the specifics but I do remember this:

At some point during our meal, the manager came out and introduced himself. He was a sort of big and sweaty guy and seemed sort of nervous. Since we signed up for this lovers special, he was presenting us with a certificate of our love. And I remember people in the restaurant watching this and smiling. And I remember my teenaged "it's all about wonderful me" mind noticing the nervous manager and smiling people and how these must be glances of envy and admiration - what with us being so young and adorable with our whole lives ahead of us.

What I realize now is that all of those people could barely keep themselves from laughing to death. Can you imagine? A certificate of our love. The manager probably sat in the back clutching his belly and laughing until tears squeezed out of his eyes. No wonder he was sweaty.