Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Downhill



I'm not a huge fan of the Winter Olympics. Once you've seen a few people strap themselves to something and fling themselves down a mountain, you've seen practically the whole thing.

I've tried to get into the spirit of things and I sat down with a sandwich over the weekend and fired up the tube just in time to see commercials and two guys talking. Later I tried again and it was commercials and some athlete who was such a weenie I wanted to punch him in the face. I'm not sure which sport but I think he did something with a snowboard. I tried again the next day and it was commercials and then this lady who went and saw polar bears.

I don't remember polar bear watching being an Olympic sport.

Then last night I wanted to watch the figure skating because I like that event and I'm a recently converted Johnny Weir fan. No one is more surprised than I am.

My DVR wouldn't tape Lost and Olympics at the same time. I thought those gadgets were supposed to be able to do two at once but my machine is old and crotchety and is doing a weird popping thing which means it's going to break the minute I need it to record something I'll die without. Time for another trip to my favorite to swap it out again.

Of course I wasn't going to skip Lost so that got DVRd and I sat in front of the TV and watched more commercials and hoped for skating. I finally got a magazine to read during the commercials. The whole time I tried I saw one skater and the TV said I could watch more skating in 27 minutes and I said screw it and went to bed. This morning I found Johnny's short program online. The Internet wins again.