Saturday, February 20, 2010

My Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs Name: Grumpy



Front yard today. Flowers are coming.

I know it's only Saturday but I'm not loving this weekend. I'm not going to go into all the details.

This morning I was at my writing desk bright and early and then proceeded to beat my head against the keyboard in a non-productive fashion for quite some time.

I thought some exercise would help and went for a walk with Bob and later did some yoga. Then I ate a Cadbury Egg which was delightful except I'm not used to that much sugar at one time so I got kinda jumpy.

I returned to the writing desk for an equally unproductive afternoon session. Then I figured if sitting at my desk was going to be such a huge waste of time, I should do something else.



Downtown Portland: Broadway and Taylor

I went and worked in the front yard. I never did my usual autumn clean-up so there was all sorts of dead stuff that needed to be clipped and yanked. I found a major snail breeding and recreation center which I had to destroy. I also picked up a half ton of cat and dog shit.

Seriously, I would reconsider my "no pets" position if I could get a pet that would crap in other people's yards. The dog crap was imbedded in the hydrangea. Does it make sense that a big dog would come in to the yard and squat on a plant right next to the back door? But it doesn't make sense that a neighbor would pick up its dog crap and then dump it in the middle of a plant in my yard, either. I don't know what's going on back there.

I got some work done and, at last, felt some small measure of progress. Digging always makes me feel better.

Oh, so the latest issue of Asimov's is out and my story isn't in there. As I've said from the beginning, I don't know when it's coming out. I though I was being all cool and laid back and like, "Whenever." But now I'm getting nervous like I've been punked.