Friday, November 27, 2009



My mother-in-law is a zoo volunteer. On Wednesday night she took us to see the ZooLights. This was my first time seeing them and it was fantastic. I didn't take many photos but I liked these flying pigs.

Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough

On Wednesday I went to the DMV to renew my driver's license. My thinking was that the day before Thanksgiving was not going to be a mob scene at the DMV. I was right. Thirty minutes and I was driving back home.

But here's the thing that amazed me: I was the only person in the waiting area who brought stuff to read. Why would you go to the DMV without anything to read?



I took this photo because of the pumpkins. All the cute flying monkeys and giant rhinos but I took photos of the pumpkins. Also, I'm sending the zoo the following suggestion: aliens and a spaceship. Who wouldn't want to see that in lights?

Dinner preparations yesterday went okay. Not as smoothly as I would have liked.

One problem was this *&^% pie. I thought about doing the pie on Wednesday but I was feeling lazy and thought: how long can it take to throw some pumpkin in a shell and bake it?

Ha ha.

While I was going through my recipes I found the handout from my pastry class. It has almost a full page single-spaced narrative which gave me hope that I could make a decent pie crust if I just read the words. I have a lot of faith in words.

Bob and I went for a nice walk and he wanted to do some kitchen things so I did yoga and then when he was done I thought I'd get the pie out of the way and then tackle the recipes.

This pie crust recipe was the most high maintenance recipe ever. Do X and then let it rest in the refrigerator. Do Y and then let it rest in the refrigerator. All it has to do is hold baked pumpkin. How much rest does it need?

Meanwhile the filling was high maintenance, too. "Put the pumpkin in your food processor. Then heat it in pan. Then put it back in the food processor."

Nope. I'm already washing everything in this kitchen twice today. We're not hauling out the food processor for a freaking pie.

I FINALLY got the pie done and I still had all my other things to coordinate. Oh, also, when I quizzed Bob on the details on his acorn squash fries, he said he needed a 425 degree oven for 45 minutes.

"Yeah," I said. "Until one of us makes enough money to buy a house with two ovens, we're not having acorn squash fries on Thanksgiving."

So I substituted with a Mark Bittman that I can't find right now but involved roasting (cover your eyes AngelaWD) beets and tossing with olive oil, red wine vinegar, chopped toasted hazelnuts and gorgonzola.

The salmon cakes were a HUGE hit. I thought they were a tad too limey and I thought so when I was doing the recipe so I did the 2 tsps. of juice but I think I had barely 1 tsp. of zest. If I make again I'd cut back on juice and just do a sprinkle of zest.

The other big hit, which surprised me, was the quinoa, wildrice, sausage "casserole". Bob made an epic leftover plate today using that as a foundation.

The pie was delicious even though it was a pain in the ass to make and nobody went home hungry. So success overall.