Saturday, October 20, 2007

 Cascading Chores
I'm having one of those days where every time I go into a different room, I see another thing I need to do. For example, I decided to bake some pumpkin scones so I went into the laundry room to the pantry annex to get a new bag of flour and while I was there I realized there was some laundry that needed to be folded and put away but first I needed to make the bed (because I fold and organize into piles on the bed) and on the way back to the bedroom, I remembered that I was starting to sort out some recipes to figure out what I want to cook in the near future and I went to pick those up and when I went into the living room, I saw a pile of magazines that I needed to finish looking at and then the tea kettle went off and I went to pour some tea and saw that I was making scones. Etc. You know how it goes.

My scones came out goofy and I think it was the butter. I didn't use cold butter, I used butter that had been sitting on the counter for a bit and there's some bake-ology science about cold v. room temperature butter and how they act in baking which I don't know enough about to explain but enough to figure this was the problem. Also I used way too much pumpkin because the recipe called for 3/4 cup and I had about 1/2 cup leftover and it seemed stupid to save 1/2 cup of pumpkin so I threw it all in there.

They taste delicious which is the only thing that matters.

My pulled muscle in my back is still bothering me. It's an icky pain, too. Sometimes it seems to seize up so that I get tears in my eyes. It bothered me so much yesterday I considered whether I should call my doctor's office. The thing is, it's limited to a specific area and I know it can't be catastrophic since I can do a 90 minute intense yoga class and it doesn't bother me. Pulling, carrying things or any sort of muscular left arm things bother it. What's the doctor going to say? Keep off of it? Take Tylenol? Other than the possibility of better drugs, I can't imagine what I would gain from a visit to the doctor.

I took fistfuls of over-the-counter remedies yesterday which didn't seem to offer much relief. In real life I take about 5 pills a year. I'm not a big pill taker. I got a stomach-ache and finally read the directions and apparently you're not supposed to take that many. I slept fine and it feels better today and by better I mean, it's a mild annoyance with moments of eye-watering burning rather than the other way around. I'm going to assume I'm over the hump.