Thursday, October 18, 2007

 The Definition of Clusterf*#K
This morning I woke up at 5:30a and heard the rain pounding on the roof and knew the commute was going to be a pain in the butt. I left later than I normally would because I was driving to a friend's. I was parking at his house and then I could go out after work and pick up my car at his house.

There was humongous gridlock trying to get on the freeway and I had a honker behind me. Dude, there are a million cars who all want to get on the freeway. What are you honking at?

It took 40 mins to get on freeway — it's about 2 miles. Plus another 15 minutes to get over the bridge and through the bottleneck at Delta Park for a total of 1 hr 10 minutes to get to my friend's about 8 miles away. I listened to How to Dismantle An Atomic Bomb in its entirety.

I'm not good at gridlock. It makes my heart race. Especially when people are honking. I can feel years of my life shucking off as I sit there clutching the steering wheel. It's not like I'm in a hurry to go. It's like I'm absorbing the frustration of every car around me. That's my super power.

There's local radio show doing a "vote for the band you'd most like to see do a reunion." The only catch is: you can only pick a band where everyone is alive. My choice is The Replacements. They lost Bob Stinson but played awhile with Slim Dunlap so I think I'm good.

But the #2 choice this morning was Oingo Boingo and they played "Only A Lad" which I cranked and it got me through a few miles in a happy buzz.

I saw Oingo one time at Westlake High School in 1980. Danny Elfman had them turn on house lights because kids were spitting on him. Suburban high school kids trying to be punks. We thought we were so cool doing the pogo. This was around the time Suburban Lawns, Romeo Void, and Missing Persons were playing the clubs. Ah, the good old days.

I see online that that show, the Westlake H.S. show is a bootleg and I have got to get my hands on that.

My 108 bulbs arrived and we're scheduled for cold and rain all weekend. Hm. Wonder what I'll do?